Monday, August 2, 2010

POETRY: "The Life That I Have" by Leo Marks


The Life That I Have 
by Leo Marks
The life that I have
Is all that I have
And the life that I have
Is yours
The love that I have
Of the life that I have
Is yours and yours and yours.
A sleep I shall have
A rest I shall have
Yet death will be but a pause
For the peace of my years
In the long green grass
Will be yours and yours and yours.

Leo Marks was an English cryptographer, screenwriter and playwright. The poem The Life That I Have was written in memory of his girlfriend Ruth, who died in a plane crash in Canada. It was composed on Christmas Eve in 1943.

And yes, this was a reading from Chelsea Clinton's wedding ceremony!  i liked it because it was not a typical passage (at least, not as typical as many other wedding readings...), and it really is lovely.

No comments: