Friday, June 6, 2008

POETRY: I Love You - Paul Eluard

I LOVE YOU by PAUL ÉLUARD
I love you for all the women I haven’t known
I love you for all the times in which I haven’t lived
For the scent of the wide open spaces and the smell of hot bread
For the melting snow and for the first flowers
For the innocent animals which haven’t been frightened by man
I love you to loveI love you for all the women I don’t love

Who reflects me if not you yourself-I see myself so little
Without you I see nothing but an empty space
Between those other times and today
There have been all those deaths that I have crossed on straw
I have not been able to break through the wall of my mirror
I’ve had to learn life word by word
How one forgets

I love you for all the wisdom, which is not mine
For health
I love you against everything which is only illusion
For that immortal heart over which I have no power
You think that you are doubt but you’re just reason
You are the powerful sun that rushes to my head
When I am sure of myself

No comments: